June 7

Prodigal…wasteful, extravagant

Prodigal:

1. spending money or using resources freely and recklessly; wastefully extravagant.”prodigal habits die hard”

4

3 wasteful, extravagant, spendthrift, improvident, imprudent, immoderate, profligate, thriftless, excessive, intemperate, irresponsible, self-indulgent, reckless, wanton “prodigal habits die hard”

1. 5 2.
    having or giving something on a lavish scale.”the dessert was prodigal with whipped cream”

6 synonyms:

7 generous, lavish, liberal, unstinting, unsparing, bountiful; Mor

Our staff spirituality day started today with the Lectio Devina of the prodigal son, and a discussion led by the St Lukes Faith Community  Pastoral Director, Tony Hoban.

This was my first experience of the Lectio Devina and it was interesting that this was done with the prodigal son story. For me, as someone with, let’s say “prodigal” sibling/s, I’ve always really empathised with the “good” brother in this parable, and it’s always been something I struggle to understand, to get my head around the parable. Yes, I understand that it’s about Jesus’ forgiveness, but it’s one of the few bible passages that I have always grappled with.

Today, though, Tony said an interesting thing that I flipped my perspective of this parable. He said, some people say that it should be the story of the Prodigal father.  Think of it: he’s overly generous, bountiful in his forgiveness, unstinting in his love for his son.

Wow.  For those of us that are parents…..what wouldn’t you do in generosity for your children. What couldn’t you forgive?  The story changed for me then to be about the generosity of the father rather than being caught up in how much I related to the rejected son.

And this parable is something that I’ve struggled with a long time. This one thing changed my whole perspective of this parable.

This started me thinking about perspective in general. How many people empathise instantly with one side of any discussion. Some great conversation at our table today about this. When students approach you with an issue, how many times are you truly unbiased and listen to both sides of the story. Do you give students the opportunity to? Are you prodigal in your offering of support?  We discussed at our table how difficult it was when there were arguments…do you get caught up in what you’re upset about, like the older son, or do you freely celebrate like the younger.

Or, are you like the father who generously lavishes his son with love.  For me, this is now the story of extravagant love, not extravagant waste.

Thanks Tony for the change in perspective. 

Posted June 7, 2019 by shortcomp in category Uncategorized